Seguinos en las redes

AJN News

One Israeli found dead, one hurt after Istanbul club attack that killed 39

AJN.- One assailant shot a police officer and a civilian as he entered the Reina nightclub before opening fire at random inside.

Publicada

el

Atentado/Estambul. Cancillería israelí confirma al menos una joven asesinada y otra herida y en recuperación

AJN.- One young Israeli women was wounded and another was killed in a New Year’s terror attack on an Istanbul nightclub, the Foreign Ministry confirmed Sunday.

At least one gunman shot his way into the Istanbul nightclub packed with hundreds of New Year’s revelers on Sunday, killing at least 39 people and wounding more than 40 in what the provincial governor described as a terrorist attack.

Israeli national Lian Nassar, 19, from Tira in southern Israel was initially feared missing before her body was found on Sunday.

Nasser’s family had reportedly set out to travel to Turkey earlier on Sunday morning after their daughter went missing and contact with her was lost.

Another wounded Israeli, was so-far identified as a 22-year-old Tira resident. The two Israelis were allegedly at the club that came under attack along with two other young women from the predominantly Arab-Israeli town.

The father of the wounded Israeli woman from Tira said his daughter sustained two gunshot wounds and that as of Sunday morning she was in “good condition” following surgery.

He added that the family was told that their daughter was expected to remain hospitalized for about four days until her condition stabilizes at which point her transfer to Israel will be permitted.

Officials say around 15 or 16 of the dead were foreigners, with many bodies still to be identified. A police officer and nightclub workers also among the dead.

Some early reports claimed multiple gunmen were involved, one possibly disguised as Santa Claus.

One assailant shot a police officer and a civilian as he entered the Reina nightclub before opening fire at random inside, Istanbul Governor Vasip Sahin said at the scene. Some reports suggested there were multiple attackers.

“A terrorist with a long-range weapon … brutally and savagely carried out this attack by firing bullets on innocent people who were there solely to celebrate the New Year and have fun,” Sahin told reporters.

The attack again shook Turkey as it tries to recover from a failed July coup and a series of deadly bombings in cities including Istanbul and the capital Ankara, some blamed on Islamic State and others claimed by Kurdish militants.

The club, one of Istanbul’s most iconic, popular with locals and foreigners alike, overlooks the Bosphorus Strait separating Europe and Asia in the city’s cosmopolitan Ortakoy district.

Around 500 to 600 people were thought to have been inside when the gunman opened fire at around 1:15 a.m. (2230 GMT), broadcaster CNN Turk said. Some jumped into the waters of the Bosphorus to save themselves and were rescued by police.

US President Barack Obama, on vacation in Hawaii, expressed condolences and directed his team to offer help to the Turkish authorities, the White House said.

Sahin said there was only one attacker but other reports, including on social media, suggested there may have been at least two, dressed in Santa Claus costumes which they later ditched.

The Hurriyet newspaper cited witnesses as saying there were multiple attackers and that they shouted in Arabic.

“We were having fun. All of a sudden people started to run. My husband said don’t be afraid, and he jumped on me. People ran over me. My husband was hit in three places,” one club-goer, Sinem Uyanik, told the newspaper.

“I managed to push through and get out, it was terrible,” she said, describing seeing people soaked in blood and adding that there appeared to have been at least two gunmen.

“POLICE MOVED IN QUICKLY”

Dozens of ambulances and police vehicles were dispatched to the club in Ortakoy, a neighborhood on the city’s European side nestled under one of three bridges crossing the Bosphorus and home to nightclubs, restaurants and art galleries.

“I didn’t see who was shooting but heard the gun shots and people fled. Police moved in quickly,” Sefa Boydas, a Turkish soccer player, wrote on Twitter.

“My girlfriend was wearing high heels. I lifted her and carried her out on my back,” he said.

Hurriyet quoted Reina’s owner, Mehmet Kocarslan, as saying security measures had been taken over the past 10 days after US intelligence reports suggested a possible attack.

Turkey, a NATO member and part of the US-led coalition against Islamic State, faces multiple security threats including spillover from the war in neighboring Syria.

It launched a military incursion into Syria in August against the radical Islamist group and is also fighting a Kurdish militant insurgency in its own southeast.

The New Year’s Eve attack came five months after Turkey was shaken by a failed military coup, in which more than 240 people were killed, many of them in Istanbul, as rogue soldiers commandeered tanks and fighter jets in a bid to seize power.

Istanbul, Turkey’s most populous city, has seen several attacks this year, the latest on Dec. 10, when two bombs claimed by Kurdish militants exploded outside a soccer stadium, killing 44 people and wounding more than 150.

In June, around 45 people were killed and hundreds wounded as three suspected Islamic State militants carried out a gun and bomb attack on Istanbul’s main Ataturk airport.

Dejá tu comentario

AJN News

Jorge Diener from Hadassah clarified no argentinian scientist is involved in coronavirus clinical trial

Agencia AJN.- The confusion appeared after Diener, international director and spokesman for the hospital, spoke to Infobae about the experiment to “stop the tsunami caused by the virus in the patient’s body”. However, he pointed out that the study is being conducted by Hadassah’s director of research and nuclear medicine, Prof. Eyal Mishani.

Publicado

el

Por

diener

Agencia AJN.- This morning argentinian news published that an argentinian scientist was participating in the clinical trial of a drug against COVID-19 that is being carried out at the Hadassah Hospital in Israel. However, our correspondent in Jerusalem quickly clarified the misunderstanding of Infobae and that there are no argentinian people involved in the investigation.

The confusion came after Jorge Diener, Hadassah’s international director, had an interview to Infobae about the experiment to “stop the tsunami caused by the virus in the patient’s body”. But Diener said he is neither a scientist nor a doctor, but works as a spokesman for the institution. The real leader of the study is Hadassah’s director of research and nuclear medicine, Prof. (Ph.D.) Eyal Mishani, born in Israel.

“For the enthusiasm of sharing the impact of this new experiment of Hadassah, it was published that I am the Argentine scientist who is part of the clinical trial. I think it was an involuntary mistake generated by the emotion of the journalists”, Diener said to AJN Agency.

“I feel part of everything that is being done at Hadassah to bring vaccines, therapies and tests, but I am not a doctor or an scientist. I am proud to be Israeli and Argentinian and to be part of Hadassah, an amazing organization where scientists like Eyal Mishani, who is the director of the research, work without sleeping to find the cure to save lives. I’m part of that, but not as a scientist, doctor or researcher,” Diener said.

“This is important, because it is a collective project, including Hadassah’s collaborators around the world, that allows this research to be done. I am the international director of Hadassah Hospital and I am very proud to be, among other things, the spokesperson, who communicates this information to the world, and I will continue to do so every day so that the world is better,” he added.

“I am grateful to all the media, the press, radio and television, which are spreading the information about the experiment being done at Hadassah. We are doing everything we can to find a cure for this pandemic,” Diener concluded.

Diener is the correspondent of the AJN Agency in Jerusalem and he makes a daily report from Hadassah with all the news about the coronavirus.

Seguir leyendo

AJN News

VIDEO. Identidades destruidas: los nombres de las víctimas de Auschwitz-Birkenau en un archivo sin precedente

Agencia AJN.- El museo que funciona donde se emplazó el campo de exterminio alemán posee un archivo repleto de datos de aquellos que fueron masacrados por el régimen nazi. Más de cuatro millones y medio de nombres se encuentran identificados en las páginas del repositorio, que hace años se está digitalizando para garantizar que se siga sumando información y para preservar la memoria de los asesinados. Hasta allí llegan miles de visitantes de todo el mundo, que en sus páginas encuentran familiares que, en muchos casos, desconocían.

Publicado

el

Por

WhatsApp Image 2020-02-14 at 19.19.41

Agencia AJN.- POLONIA (Enviado especial) Hace años que desde el memorial-museo Auschwitz-Birkenau se trata de reunir toda la información posible sobre las víctimas del genocidio nazi durante la Segunda Guerra Mundial. En particular, la institución busca identificar a todos aquellos que fueron masacrados, principalmente a aquellas familias que fueron exterminadas por completo y de las que no queda nadie que los recuerde, o que al menos sepa que existieron. Hoy en día, se cuenta con un total de 4 millones y medio de nombres identificados.

Hoy en día el archivo es visitado por personas de todo el mundo y es un sitio de interés a nivel global. Buceando al interior de las páginas que ocupan el centro de la sala (ver video), los visitantes pueden buscar sus apellidos y encontrar allí nombres de antepasados que llegaron a los campos de exterminio, con su ciudad y país de origen. La sorpresa y la emoción se hacen presente cuando, en muchos casos, se encuentran más familiares de los que conocían.

Se pretendía un exterminio total: además de la aniquilación física en cámaras de gas y hornos crematorios, el plan también incluía el exterminio de la identidad y la memoria de las víctimas. Antes de la liberación del campo en enero de 1945, las autoridades de las SS ordenaron la destrucción de toda la documentación creada durante la operación de Auschwitz. Según las estimaciones, se destruyó más del 90% de los materiales de origen.

En este momento, la base de datos existente, que contiene información sobre las personas localizadas en su paso por Auschwitz, se está fusionando con los datos de las listas de transporte. Por consiguiente, ya en mayo de 2020, los resultados de la búsqueda en www.auschwitz.org se enriquecerán con más de 420.000 nombres de judíos deportados al campo.

Uno de los objetivos más importantes del Repositorio Digital de Auschwitz-Birkenau es reunir la documentación dispersa de las listas de transporte a los campos. “Unos 900.000 judíos deportados a través de trenes masivos desde la Europa ocupada por los alemanes fueron asesinados en las cámaras de gas inmediatamente después de llegar al campo, sin registrarse. Al no contar con esos registros posteriores del campo, no hay información sobre ellos. Las listas de transporte pueden ayudarnos a establecer sus nombres”, dijo el Director del Museo, Piotr M. A. Cywiński.

20191227_rc_2,oHuCn6impHCVqcKHZpY

El Repositorio Digital elaborado por el museo. Foto: www.auschwitz.org

“En sus relatos, los antiguos prisioneros hablan a menudo de la convicción que tenían en el campo, de que la verdad nunca pasará más allá de los cables, sus nombres serán olvidados y, sin embargo, cada persona tiene un nombre. Nuestra misión es simple: devolver a nuestra memoria colectiva tantos nombres como sea posible”, enfatizó.

“Durante más de 20 años, hemos estado llevando a cabo un tedioso trabajo de digitalización, con el fin de preservar los datos de las fuentes y archivos y, por otra parte, restaurar los nombres de las víctimas. El trabajo del Depósito Digital no se centra en los documentos, sino en las personas, los nombres, los números, las fechas de nacimiento y cualquier otro rastro, a menudo muy frágil, de las personas. Aquellos que fueron arrancados de su vida cotidiana por la violencia, que fueron llevados al sufrimiento y a la muerte. Los registros del Depósito Digital de los nombres de los prisioneros de Auschwitz no sólo sirven como fuente de actividades de investigación y educación, sino sobre todo para conmemorar a todos los encarcelados y asesinados”, subrayó Krzysztof Antończyk, jefe del Repositorio Digital.

Foto: www.auschwitz.org

“El repositorio y el archivo cooperan con especialistas en interpretación. La información es complementada regularmente por los familiares de los prisioneros, y los particulares siguen donando documentos, fotografías o escaneos. Gracias a los contactos de larga data y al intercambio de experiencias con otros monumentos e instituciones que conmemoran a las víctimas de la Segunda Guerra Mundial, se siguen obteniendo nuevos datos sobre los prisioneros y deportados, se reconstruyen sus identidades y se completa la documentación. Mediante este intercambio de información, los trabajos de investigación se han vuelto más completos y complementarios”, señaló Antończyk.

Seguir leyendo

Más leídas

WhatsApp Suscribite al Whatsapp!